Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Advantages of a Less Than Perfect Childhood

Does anyone want me to mumble some excuse about why I haven't posted recently. No? Okay, we'll get right to it then.

About 6 weeks ago I had my 60th birthday.  It's a strange sort of birthday because it sounds so incredibly old.  Little children ask if you remember the discovery of penicillin and even teenagers want to know about the first car you ever rode in.

So 60 sounds old - but it doesn't feel old.  I mean I've got aches and pains that I didn't use to have and some of my bendy bits are not quite as bendy as they used to be. 

But in my head, I'm just a youngster.  Full of enthusiasm and waiting to try out my latest interest.  And this is where we get to the advantages of a less than perfect childhood.  (You were wondering when I would get to it.)

A less than perfect childhood means that life gets better instead of worse as you get older.  I feel so sorry for these folk who say that their childhood was the best time of their life.

For them - life goes steadily downhill.  How ghastly!

For me, the recipent of a less than perfect childhood - each decade gets better.  My fifities were great - not perfect - there is still time for perfection - but pretty damn good.

So I think the sixties are going to be even better.  This is not a foolish assumption. Each decade of my life has been an improvement on the one before.

And there are real advantages to being an "old woman".

You can look at young men and admire them and not feel any need to do anything about it.

Nobody cares about how you look so you can stop worrying about any perceived imperfections.

Somewhere along the way you stop worrying about what other people think.

You've either found a good man (or woman) or got the hang of living without one.

You've got this "art of living" thing figured out.

So a less that perfect childhood is a great thing and if anyone out there is perhaps going though the aftermath of one then remember this - your life will steadily improve.

By the time you get to sixty you're going to be having a ball!

5 comments:

Leah J. Utas said...

Wise words, Dawn. And I'll echo them. We are fine wine improving with age and our lives get better all the time.
Oh, and I'll echo that bit about the bendy bits, too.

Good to have you back blogging.

Reb said...

Hear! Hear! Yeah, those bendy bits are causing me a bit of trouble these days, um, well, for the last decade or so. Get one thing fixed, then something else decides it has to be its turn. Just like an old car ;

the Bag Lady said...

Although my childhood was pretty darned good, I have to agree with you about things getting better. Well, except for the bendy bits, but it's a small price to pay!

This: You can look at young men and admire them and not feel any need to do anything about it. made me smile!

solarity said...

I have my doubts about the people whose childhood was the best time of their lives. A truly good childhood leaves you prepared to experience the rest of the your life with interest and enjoyment. (Speaking from experience, that is.)

The bendy bits do seem to be aging, but at 57 I'm in far FAR better health than I was at 27 or 37, and even slightly improved from 47, so I look forward to my 60s with optimism.

Enjoy yours!

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Dawn said...

Isn't it interesting that everyone can identify with the "bendy bits"!