Saturday, September 11, 2010

North Island Kaka

Wow! Discovered a North Island Kaka in my garden this morning.

 Hard to see but it is about half way down the image and one third in from right hand edge.  A brown bird just above a cream colored flower.

 Here is a closeup of the NI kaka taken from the Tiritirimatangi site . Photographer, Peter Craw, obviously has the talent for getting a whole lot closer that I did!

The kaka is normally only found in large forest areas and is not usually seen then.  They are fully protected with only about 10,000 birds of both North Island and South Island kaka combined left. 

They enjoy nectar which is what he is doing in our Banksia tree.  The Banksia is actually an Australian native tree but I planted it because I know many NZ native birds enjoy its nectar rich flowers in the winter.  We always have lots of tuis and bellbirds in this tree but I have never seen a kaka before.

I've never seen one even in the wild so you can imagine my excitement when hubby's friend spotted this one.

I've been following his activity all morning - he is moving around our trees, visiting the 2 Banksia, a winter flowering gum and a vanilla tree and seems to be feeding from them all.  He might have just been attacking the bark for grubs in the vanilla tree.  Interestingly, none of these trees are NZ natives but that didn't seem to bother him one jot.

For any NZ bird fanciers who should read this post - our garden is at Whakamaru in the South Waikato and there are large areas of forest about 10 kilometres away with a few small tracts closer.  The kaka is certainly a bird that I never expected to find in my garden.

Long may he continue!

6 comments:

Reb said...

Very exciting! I hope that means good luck or something along those lines. Very pretty bird.

Leah J. Utas said...

Oh wonderful. What a treat to see it. Thanks for getting a pic for us.

the Bag Lady said...

Don't you just love it when something like this happens? It's so exciting! (Yes, I am a bird watching geek, too!)
Thanks for sharing this experience!

solarity said...

"hard to see" is pretty much the Plan, isn't it? Especially when you're rare. Thanks for getting the picture.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Thomma Lyn said...

Oh wow, what a beautiful bird, and what a joy to have him as a guest in your garden!

Dawn said...

Thanks everyone. It really was tremendously exciting discovering this fellow in my garden. And the best news is that he continues to come in each morning.